Shanghaied at Rasa Malaysia

Lumpiang_shanghai

Photo illustration and overall awesomeness by Rasa Malaysia

I couldn’t help but to giggle a bit when Rasa Malaysia asked me to be a
guest writer for her blog–especially because she specifically
requested that I write about the Filipino spring rolls known as Lumpia.
Quite apropos, I thought, considering the name of my own blog. Though I tried vigilantly to avoid any charring of any spring
rolls for this post, the last one or two in my frying pan did set off
the old smoke alarm (sometimes I can’t help myself)…

So I decided to do a recipe for Lumpiang Shanghai–a small, thin type of fried lumpia.
Lumpiang Shanghai is a favorite of mine because it is fairly easy to
make–just roll the wrapper over the meat, no fancy folding is required
so the spring rolls are left open-ended.

To learn more about different types of Lumpia, and to find my easy recipe for Lumpiang Shanghai, hop on over to Bee’s wonderful blog, Rasa Malaysia, to read my guest post.

***

Fresh on the heels of Joey’s guest post about adobo, I was ecstatic when Bee asked me if I’d like to introduce even more Filipino food to
her readers. Of course I would! After all, everyone deserves a little bit of Filipino food in their bellies!

Fried Spring Rolls on Foodista

• marguerite January 27, 2009, 10:03 am

Those look awesome!!!

• Rasa Malaysia January 27, 2009, 10:37 am

Thanks for guest posting. I like the idea of not sealing the lumpia and left the sides open. Yummy!

• joey January 27, 2009, 6:21 pm

Yaaaay!!! So perfect! :) I’m so happy you guest posted — more Filipino food out there! I’m going over to Bee’s right now to read it!

• Mila January 27, 2009, 9:04 pm

Cool! Adobo and lumpia down! I wonder what the next recipe will be? Did you answer why it’s called Shanghai? I always wondered about that bit :)

• Eat. Travel. Eat! January 27, 2009, 9:56 pm

Loved the guest post at Rasa Malaysia. Very informative and very interesting to read!

• Burnt Lumpia January 28, 2009, 9:17 am

Thanks marguerite.
    Thanks so much for asking me to guest post, RM!
    Thanks joey! I hope you’ll like it.
    Hi Mila. From what I’ve read in a few place, it’s called Shanghai because of the pork and because of the sweet and sour sauce. Not sure how accurate that is though.
    Thanks ETE! I’m glad you liked it.

• Jescel January 29, 2009, 5:59 am

good job Marvin.. i’m glad we’re spreading some filipino food love out there…

• Cynthia January 30, 2009, 3:23 pm

I for one want some Filipino food in my bell-lay (belly)

• bernadette January 30, 2009, 5:19 pm

another great blog to bookmark! I really have to thank the Internet and bloggers like you, Marvin, for helping me keep educated and not a “barbarian” in terms of culinary stuff. More power to you!

• Katrina February 6, 2009, 2:33 am

That was a great article, Marvin! Nice overview on the different kinds of lumpia. And lumpiang Shanghai is my favorite kind of lumpia, so I’m happy it’s what you chose to give a recipe for. :-)
    You really should try lumpiang ubod next time you’re here. It’s very different from the other lumpias, and when made well (meaning, no extenders, and with a proper sauce), really special.

• Lori Lynn @ Taste With The Eyes February 8, 2009, 9:39 am

Great post. I learned a lot. You make a great guest host. The lumpiang in Bee’s photo look totally irresistible!
    LL

• Burnt Lumpia February 9, 2009, 11:16 am

Thanks Jescel.
    Haha, Cynthia. I want some Caribbean food in my bel-lay!;)
    Thanks Bernadette. I’m glad you have a new blog to read now.
    Hi Katrina. I do look forward to trying ubod some day. Maybe I can find it somewhere here.
    Thanks LL. Bee did a great job of doctoring my photo. She’s a whiz!

• Jade April 1, 2009, 2:42 am

Oh this is cute! Indonesians call our spring rolls ‘lumpia’ too. I guess it’s same Chinese-inherited recipe thing. The filling is mostly bamboo shoot, chicken and/or prawn.

• Chad December 21, 2010, 1:48 pm

Do you brown the pork or leave it uncooked and just deep fry?

• BurntLumpia December 21, 2010, 6:16 pm

Hi Chad.
    No, I don’t brown the pork, I leave it uncooked and deep fry until the meat is cooked inside.