New Year’s Reservations

Happy New Year everyone! Sorry for the lack of posts lately, but in addition to enjoying the holidays and the New Year, I've been saddled with a nasty cold that's curled me up into a pathetic little ball hidden underneath a pile of sheets and blankets. Good times! As soon as the fog, grog, and snot clear from my head, I'll be back to posting shortly, hopefully.

But I did want to write today in response to a handful of emails I've received from some readers the last few days. It seems that everyone is wondering when the No Reservations: Philippines episode will be airing on the Travel Channel. I assume this line of questioning is directly correlated to the season premiere of No Reservations being debuted tonight (it's the Mexico episode), and people are curious about the Philippines episode.

I found these emails amusing because I usually only receive emails that A)Tell me how much I suck (thanks, I enjoy constructive criticism), B)Ask if my father really is as violent as I portray him to be (ehh, maybe), and C)Ask if I really am married (yes I am, now leave me alone).

Anyhoo, to answer the original question, the No Reservations: Philippines episode will be airing here in the U.S. on Monday February 9 at 10pm ET, so I'm told. Now don't go marking your calendars with ink just yet, use pencil as that date and time is tentatively scheduled. And I'm not sure when that episode will air in the Philippines and the rest of Asia, so it's best to check your local listings, or to follow along with Market Man as he will actually be appearing on the Philippines episode and undoubtedly knows a whole lot more about it than I do.

When I know more about the Philippines episode of No Reservations, I will definitely post the info here as I'm sure everyone is super excited about it.

In the meantime though, I was given a sneak peak of the season premiere episode in Mexico (airing tonight on the Travel Channel at 10pm ET) and I'd like to share it with everyone here:

• joey January 5, 2009, 7:23 pm

So sorry to hear you’ve been sick! My hubby was sick too over Christmas but we had a lovely quiet Christmas anyway :) No rushing and no hectic traipsing from one gathering to the next — different but good :) All the next to you and B in 2009! Hope we can see you guys again soon!
    I’m SO looking to that episode!

• Manggy January 5, 2009, 9:01 pm

Happy new year Marvin! I hope you’ve fully convalesced by now. Who the hell are those people e-mailing you for purpose A?! Let me at ’em!!

• Mila January 6, 2009, 4:31 am

Hope you feel better, the weather must not be helping much.
    We are simmering with excitement, in anticipation of that episode, will he like us, will he diss us, will it be the best pig ever??? Ay!
    Have a great year Marvin (and the rest of the BL family)!

• Erin January 6, 2009, 7:48 am

Hope you feel better soon. I am in the same boat.
    Happy New Year!

• caninecologne January 7, 2009, 11:29 am

Hope you are feeling better. It sucks being sick.
    Thanks for the heads up about the upcoming Bourdain in the Philippines episode. I’ll make sure to record that.I hope he gets to eat lechon kawali and diniguan!

• mikky January 9, 2009, 12:49 am

can’t wait to watch that… happy new year!!! and hope you’re doing ok… :)

• oggi January 9, 2009, 11:45 am

The hubby has been wondering too when the Philippine episode will air. Unfortunately for him (or maybe us), he will be in Manila where he won’t have the time to watch TV. If I decide to join him I too will not be able to watch. Replay na lang when he (we) gets back.
    Hope you are feeling better.:)

• watson January 10, 2009, 11:10 pm

Happy New Year!
    Are you referring to No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain? I have been watching that show in the Discovery Channel back in Manila! Unfortunately, I will also not be able to see it because we are now here in New Zealand.
    I will be visiting again. Thanks for this news!

• caroline January 11, 2009, 5:22 pm

I don’t know if anyone else noticed, but during the Mexico (season premiere)episode of “No Reservations”, there was traditional Philippine music in the background. I am not on crack. I watched the episode twice, and I heard banduria music in the scene where they were at Cantina La Mascota, and at the bullfight in Carlos’ hometown. I recognized “Bahay Kubo” and “Carinosa”. I used to be a folk dancer, so I know folk music when I hear it.

• Guia January 11, 2009, 6:12 pm

Yes, Caroline, I recognized the music, too! I caught the program about that time & I thought at 1st that it was the Phils. episode! I guess we have to wait a few more weeks…

• Lori Lynn @ Taste With The Eyes January 11, 2009, 7:26 pm

Hi Marvin – I hope you feel better by now.
    O O O I want a bull taco!
    LL

• Marketman January 13, 2009, 2:46 am

Hi Marvin… You know more than I do as I don’t even have a tentative date for the program, though I think Feb 9 or 16 is a good guess going by the places they visited in chronological order… I will do a post if I know anything for sure!

• greasemonkey January 14, 2009, 1:22 am

get well soon! you guys should get yearly flu shots…

• Jude January 14, 2009, 2:47 am

Can’t wait for that episode of NR. It’s about dang time. Looks like there’s going to be lots of pork involved.

• Food Woolf January 16, 2009, 9:52 am

Congratulations on your Best Asian Blog listing on Blogs.com! It’s nice to see Jaden give a shout out to you and WORC!

• Foodista January 17, 2009, 5:36 am

Wow! This is great news! No reservations in the Philippines! Awesome!

• Cynthia January 19, 2009, 6:07 pm

Hope that you are felling a lot better.
    Happy New Year!

• Burnt Lumpia January 19, 2009, 8:39 pm

Thanks very much joey! The best to you and C as well. I’m sure we’ll all be able to see each other again;)
    Thanks manggy. I knew I could count on you to have my back.
    Hi Mila. I’m sure AB will not diss the Philippines. The best to you this year as well.
    I hope you are better by now too, Erin.
    I’ll keep the updates coming about that ep, caninecologne.
    Thanks mikky.
    You should set up some kind of auto-record if you and hubby are both in the Philippines, oggi. But that’s even better that you’ll actually be there.
    Thanks very much for visiting, watson!
    That is quite the observation, caroline. I certainly didn’t notice, but I don’t know anything about Filipino folkmusic.
    Well, that confirms it, guia! I wonder if the producers knew what they were doing with the music. Probably not.
    The bull tacos looked great, right Lori Lynn?;)
    Hey there Marketman. I’ve already been told that the schedule has changed to Feb 16! I’ll do a separate post as well on the new schedule.
    Hi greasemonkey. You know, I always think about flu shots, but never get them;(
    Hi Jude. I should hope lots of pork would be involved!:)
    Hi Food Wolf! Thanks for the heads up. I actually didn’t know until you told me. I’m very flattered that Jaden enjoys my blog.
    Thanks Foodista!
    Happy New Year to you too, Cynthia!

• Katrina January 23, 2009, 5:41 am

Happy New Year to you and B, Marvin! I hope you have fully recovered now.
    Thanks for keeping us up to date on the No Reservations Phils. episode. Do you get Bobby Chinn’s show in the U.S. too? Any idea when his Phils. episode will air?

• Burnt Lumpia January 23, 2009, 1:42 pm

Thanks Katrina! Happy new year to you as well. Sadly, I don’t get bobby chin’s show here, so I don’t know anything about it:(

• Ernie February 7, 2009, 7:31 am

Now I am confused. Since elementary grades, we had been singing “Bahay Kubo” and loved it as one of the Filipino folk songs. When I heard it played as background music when Anthony Bourdain was at Cantina La Mascota in Mexico City, it puzzled me. I am now asking some of my Mexican friends if this is also a traditional Mexican song considering that the Galleon trade before came via Mexico.