Lumpia Lessons in the Washington Post

Lumpia

Last week, the Washington Post ran a very interesting and informative profile on Feli Orinion, the executive housekeeper for Willkie Farr & Gallagher (a high-profile international law firm) in downtown Washington. In addition to no doubt running a tight ship at this law firm, Orinion is also one of D.C.’s finest in Filipino cookery–she is more than proficient in the exquisite art of lumpia making.

According to the article, written by Bonnie Benwick, Orinion can roll a few hundred lumpia at the drop of a hat. Benwick writes:

“Consequently, the Orinions have a reputation for showing up at
celebrations and school events with several platters in tow, and
friends of theirs have one delicious thing in common: A 20-pack of ‘Feli’s lumpia’ is in their freezers, ready to be finished in hot oil.”

Nothing’s better than a 20-pack of homemade lumpia in the freezer and at the ready, methinks. And luckily for all of us, the Washington Post article includes a recipe for “Feli’s Lumpia” as well as “Pancit with Chicken”.

The article also makes brief mention of me and my experience with Andrea Nguyen’s wonderful recipe for homemade lumpia wrappers.

If that isn’t enough lumpia goodness for you to swallow, the article also features a step-by-step photo gallery on “How to Make Lumpia” that includes some of Feli Orinion’s very useful tips and tricks.

So if you’re as much a lumpia fiend as I am, and if you want to learn how easy it is to stock your freezer with dozens and dozens of lumpia, then read Washington Cooks: Feli Orinion and her Philippine Specialties in the Washington Post.

• veron December 28, 2009, 5:17 pm

Congrats Marvin for your mention in the Washington post. Can’t wait to try all the lumpia goodness when I go home this January. A law firm has a housekeeper? Now that is fancy.

• Eat. Travel. Eat! December 28, 2009, 8:43 pm

Congrats Marvin for a mention in such a great article! It’s a great follow up to your lumpia articles.

• Diana December 28, 2009, 9:06 pm

Mmm…lumpia – a family fave! Makes me want to go roll some up! Congrats on being mentioned in the article! :)

• cameron December 28, 2009, 9:09 pm

The Washington Post !?! Seriously, that is kind of a big deal! Congrats!!!

• Mila December 29, 2009, 9:59 am

Congratulations Marvin! That’s a cool New Year present for you :)
    May 2010 be as fantastic as the last year for your blog and the family. Regards to B and Baby L!

• Manggy December 29, 2009, 10:51 pm

Hi Bin! (Kidding, I’m gambling that your family attempted calling you that at one point.) I’m glad you’re (probably) feeling better, I hope the wife is too. And so glad the little one avoided it. They didn’t mention in the article how hard-core you were about it! Humph. I read her recipe and it had a ton of ingredients! I adore my dad’s, and it has nothing more than carrots, onions, ground pork, and tons and tons of black pepper in the filling :)
    Merry Christmas!

• Trissa December 30, 2009, 2:19 am

Well, first of all congratulations on the mention from Washington Post – it was amazing that you made the wrappers yourself.. making your own wrappers is something that would terrify me!

• Dishin and Dishes December 30, 2009, 3:39 pm

Lumpia – something I need to try. This weekend we’re having an asian themed party. We’re making pad thai, fried rice and spring rolls, but lumpia would be a fine addition. Congrats on your article!

• Impromptu Diva December 30, 2009, 6:27 pm

Congratulations Marvin for a mention on the article… I have yet to make my own lumpia… I usually just buy them… and yes having a pack of frozen lumpia in the freezer, comes in handy when you need an additional entree…
    Happy New Year!

• bagito January 2, 2010, 1:02 pm

Washington Post? That indeed is a big deal. Congrats and Happy New Year to you and the family! Wishing you all the best in 2010 and beyond.

• wasabi prime January 4, 2010, 12:52 pm

Fantastic! Congratulations on the mention! Some friends made pancit for New Years and this post about lumpia just drives my craving that much further for both dishes!!

• Burnt Lumpia January 7, 2010, 3:43 pm

Thanks veron. I thought the same thing about a law firm having a housekeeper;P
    Thanks ETE!
    I hope you rolled lots and lots of lumpia, Diana.
    Thanks Cam.
    Thanks Mila. I hope 2010 will be healthy and happy for you as well.
    No, no one has ever called me Bin, Manggy. Nor will they ever!
    Making your own wrappers really isn’t that hard Trissa. You should give it a try sometime.
    I hope you gave lumpia a try, D&D.
    Frozen lumpia are definitely convenient as last minute food, Impromtu Diva.
    Thanks very much bagito! Happy new year to you too!
    Thanks WP! I hope your filipino food cravings were satisfied.

• Cara Tan January 25, 2010, 9:47 pm

Congrats! I love reading your blog, and I probably love lumpia even more. That said, I noticed you don’t have anything about turron! I was wondering if you had any recipes I could try out to go along with some of those homemade lumpia skins!
    Cheers! – Cara

• Andrew@Promotional Duffel Bags February 11, 2010, 12:47 pm

Wow…that’s AWESOME! I’m not sure there’s a better savory snack out there. Quick, easy, and really really good. I must say, however, that I’m not personally a fan of FRESH lumpia. Maybe I just haven’t had a good one yet.

• Lisa March 12, 2010, 6:55 pm

too cool! I’m a lumpia junkie!

• Liza March 16, 2010, 4:09 pm

I love the traditional little morsels called “lumpia shanghai”! My family and friends require that I make lumpia at all our parties and of course have stock on hand in the freezer. I’ve also tried to reinvent it by changing the meat to ground chicken or ground turkey and added an extra herbal agent: cilantro! It’s so yummy!

• S David March 13, 2011, 11:44 am

Tried making shrimp veggie lumpia yesterday. The filling was really good but they came out soggy. I fried them in hot oil so that wasn’t the problem. I didn’t wrap them properly. Try and try again. I hope they come out right the next time. Great blog and lumpia making lesson from Fely Orinion. Thanks.